Palm Desert, CA
Braille Institute Coachella Valley will hold a free Community Open House on Thursday, May 4 from 3 – 7 pm at the organization’s new Palm Desert facility in the El Paseo Plaza, located at 74-245 Highway 111. Braille Institute provides free classes and services to assist people of all ages who are living with vision loss. At this Open House event, Braille Institute will offer tours of their new facility and provide demonstrations of their many free services. Local officials will be on hand during the event and Braille Institute will provide complimentary refreshments and opportunity prizes. Demonstrations and program overviews will be conducted in English and Spanish, and many Spanish-speaking staff will be on site to answer questions. There is no cost to attend, but people are requested to RSVP by calling 760-321-1111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Demonstrations of some of the core Braille Institute services that will be offered during the event include instruction in:
· Low Vision (specialists will demonstrate various hand-held, digital and desktop magnifiers and task lighting that help maximize one’s remaining sight)
· Independent Living Skills (with demonstrations of tools and techniques for everyday tasksaround the homethat give one the ability to remain independent)
· Orientation and Mobility (which provides communication and travel skills to help students understand their environments and move safely from place to place)
· Library Services (including demonstrations of audio books, Braille readers, and how to apply for the free service)
· Assistive and Adaptive Technology Education provided by the Connection Pointe Center (that offers classes on how to use the latest mainstream and accessible technology like iPhones, iPads, and Androids, as well as demonstrations of Braille Institute’s TEAMS platform that enables students to attend free workshops and classes remotely from their home)
· Child Development (resources and services for young children with visual impairment and their families)
“Most Coachella Valley residents know someone who is affected by vision loss,” said Amy Sand, Regional Manager of Braille Institute Coachella Valley. “The Open House on May 4will demonstrate that there are no limits to what people living with diminished vision can learn to do with the remaining vision they have. Hear from a current student who will share his journey and experience at Braille Institute. Braille Institute offers free services with a strong emphasis on programs created for Spanish speaking students. At the Open House learn how people with diminished vision can live independently regardless of their vision capability, their age, the language they speak, or their immigration status.”
New students must complete a low vision assessment or have been on-boarded by a Braille Institute Intake Specialist. To register for classes at Coachella Valley, contact the Administrator at 760-321-1111 or visit brailleinstitute.org/classes-events .